A comp card (also called composite card, z card, zed card or sed card) is a marketing tool for models. They serve as the latest and best of a model’s portfolio and are used as a business card. A comp card typically contains a minimum of two pictures — cover page with full size portrait and a second page with a broad selection of representative shots from the portfolio — and the model’s basic stats — typically height, weight, three sizes for women (bust, waist, hips) and for men (suit or chest, waist, inseam), shoe size, eye and hair color, nationality and contact information — printed on both sides of an 8.5″ x 5.5″ piece of card stock.
Upstate Photographers can handle the entire process of creating a comp card for you — from taking the pictures, through design and layout, through printing. Here are some examples:
Model Comp Card. Industry-standard 5.5 x 8.5″ double-sided, 110lb cover stock, glossy UV coating, 100 copies. No additional charge for layout if card is made up from our photos, using one of our standard designs. No hidden “set-up,” “color-correction” or retouching charges. $109 complete. Add $15 for shipping to you via Fed Ex.
Photo Business Cards. 100 2 x 3.5″ business cards on premium paper with your full-color photo on one side, and name, contact info, and stats on the other side. $49
Rochelle from Serendipity Boutique in Bolton Landing recently contacted us about doing a fashion shoot to get some updated images for advertising and promotional purposes. It was an outdoor shoot at some iconic Bolton Landing/Lake George locations, and the weather this year was so rainy we had to reschedule several times to get the perfect sunny day, but it finally happened, and we had so much fun working with their team! Here are some of the photos from the session:
Our peaceful, passionate productive, pothead friends from Some Girls Get High dropped by the studio with a model and a stack of new tops the other day to shoot some new catalog images. Awesome!
Upstate Photographers specializes in high quality, fast-turnaround, reasonably priced fashion photography for catalogs, boutiques, advertising, and editorial!
For bookings please call (518) 526-9970
Studio: 169 River Street, 2nd FL
Troy, NY 12180
Looking to start or update your modeling portfolio? Paul and Brenda of Upstate Photographers in Troy, NY have years of experience shooting fashion, glamour, commercial, alternative, and beauty sessions in the Albany area. Working with the Capital Region’s most talented and creative makeup artists and stylists, we can produce not just great pictures, but pictures that showcase your unique personal style. Whether you’re starting or refreshing a professional portfolio, or just modeling for your own enjoyment, Upstate Photographers is the place to go for your model photography!
Want to see more examples of our photography with models? Click here!
Professional Model Portfolio Session $99*
- A professional photography session shot in high-resolution professional digital in our studio, on-location, or outdoors (weather permitting)
- Weekday, evening, and weekend sessions available. While we don’t encourage walk-ins, same-day appointments are often available
- We shoot up to three different looks (wardrobe changes)
- Up to an hour of photography – we shoot until we are confident we’ve created some great images; most sessions last 30-60 minutes. Additional hours available at $99/hr. Styling and makeup time does not come out of your shooting time.
- Before you leave the studio, you pick the four best images from each “look” from your session (a total of twelve images). We then immediately upload your selections to an online gallery at high resolution. Your pictures are ready to share, download and use the same day!
- You can download any or all of the twelve images from your gallery at high resolution any time you like for any purpose (see the Usage License we provide for specifics). The images will remain in your gallery for at least one year. (When we say “twelve images,” that’s a minimum. Generally, we put up all the best images for the shoot. Depending on how it goes, it could be just 12, or as many as 50 or so. We never hold back good images! That being said, we never provide “all” the images.
- If you choose to have one or more of your images professionally retouched (including hair straightening, blemish removal, wrinkle softening, skin smoothing, teeth whitening, etc.) we can do this for $24 per image. Retouching usually takes 48 hours, same day rush turn-around is available for an additional charge. You can select the pictures for retouching at the time of your session, or you can take however much time you need to show your gallery to family and friends, and then order the retouched images days, even months after the session is over.
- Payment for your session is due after you select your images at the end of the session; we accept cash, check, PayPal and most major debit and credit cards. Orders for retouching, prints, or digital media are payable at time of order.
Makeup and hair styling is not included. For women, we usually recommend makeup; for men, makeup is rarely necessary. For our clients who choose to have their makeup done, we suggest you book an in-studio makeup artist. The typical cost is $75 for one application in the studio, or $150 to have the artist stay through the shoot doing touchups, look changes, etc. If you want us to book a makeup artist at your session, please let us know when you make your appointment so we can make the necessary arrangements.
Prints, Comp Cards, and Digital Media
- 4×6 print. $1.99
- 5×7 print. $2.99
- 8×10 print. $4.99
- 9×12 print. $8.99
- 11×14 print. $15.99
- 16 x 20 print. $34.95
- Fifty (50) 8.5×11″ photo prints, carefully printed and color corrected on professional-grade paper, checked and approved by our staff, and then available for pickup at our studio. $99. Add $15 for shipping to you by Fed Ex.
- One Hundred (100) 8.5×11″ photo prints, carefully printed and color corrected on professional-grade photo paper, checked and approved by our staff, and then available for pickup at our studio. $179. Add $20 for shipping to you by Fed Ex.
- Model Comp Card. Industry-standard 5.5 x 8.5″ double-sided, 110lb cover stock, glossy both sides. No additional charge for layout if from our photos, using one of our standard layouts. 10 copies: $49. 100 copies: $119. Add $15 for shipping to you via Fed Ex.
- Photo Business Cards. 250 2 x 3.5″ business cards on premium paper with your full-color photo on one side, and name, contact info, and stats on the other side. $69 (no additional charge for layout and prep). Add $15 for shipping to you via Fed Ex.
- Your images are uploaded to your gallery, and are available for download and viewing for at least one year after your session. If you require a physical copy of those image files, we can provide a USB flash drive with your images on it. $49, which includes Fed Ex Ground shipping and handling.
** Unretouched digital images uploaded to your gallery. Retouching, delivery on CD or USB flash drive, and print orders require additional postproduction and shipping time.
Important Notices: Turnaround and delivery times are conservative estimates, but are only estimates unless explicitly guaranteed to you personally in writing. Actual delivery time depends on workload and other factors. All offers are limited and subject to availability.
Payment in full is due at the end of your session. We accept cash, check, PayPal, and most debit and credit cards. Prices and offers are subject to change without notice or obligation.
Upstate Photographers is a service. Therefore, once the service is rendered, there are no refunds. In the case where you are not happy with your performance in front of the camera (this means that there are no photos which are acceptable to you), in-studio reshoots are available at the discretion of Upstate Photographers for $25 per look. No other services (such as hair or makeup) are included in the reshoot price.
Margaret and her team from Some Girls Boutique in Troy, NY dropped by the studio for another catalog fashion shoot this week, and Brenda and I had a blast working with them. Check out the results below!
And what do the final results look like? We love it!
You can shop Some Girls Boutique online by clicking here: http://somegirlsboutique.bigcartel.com
Photography by Paul Grupp and Brenda Rose of Upstate Photographers, in Troy NY. Graphic treatments and layouts by Some Girls Boutique.
Some Girls Boutique, just a couple blocks up River Street from our studio, needed some images for their online catalog. We have been finetuning our studio processes to allow lightning fast turnaround on fashion photography. What a great opportunity for us to showcase our fashion photography chops, and for Some Girls to get the pictures they need! Now get over to the Some Girls Boutique website and buy some clothes — you know you want to! You can check out their Facebook page by clicking here.
Want to see more from this fashion shoot? Click here!
Recently Nakia Crouse, owner of Essence of Hair Spa in Albany, NY was looking for a photographer to shoot some fashion looks she had been working up, and we were able to convince her that despite all the glamour and alternative work in our portfolio, that we did a pretty mean fashion look as well. On Sunday March 18, 2012 she and Makeup Artist Extraordinaire Erin Marzilli came to our studio with three gorgeous models and a rack of clothes — some from our friend Margaret Partyka’s Some Girls Boutique two blocks away from our studio in Troy, and some from Nakia’s collection. Models Chanel Parson and Paris Myrick gave us their best, and I think the results are stunning. What an amazing team! Here’s a sneak peak at the results — more to come!
The Q103 Q-Tease were in the house at Upstate Photographers, doing a photo shoot for Valentine’s Day 2012. Check out our sneak peek – more to come at Q103’s web site!
Emily’s mom orchestrated an Upstate Photographers Model Experience Photo Shoot with a group of her friends, as a complete surprise for Emily’s birthday party! With the fabulous Amy Elizabeth providing uber-pro makeup, everybody had a great time and we got some amazing pictures. Special thanks to Some Girls Boutique for finding a sensational dress for Emily — in five minutes flat!
Some good friends. A kick-ass photo studio with two seasoned professional photographers and an accomplished makeup artist. Mix it all up and what do you get? An Upstate Photographers Model Experience Photo Session. Oh yeah.
Caitlin and friends Model Experience Photo Shoot at Upstate Photographers. Happy Birthday, Caitlin!
Caitlin and friends Model Experience Photo Shoot at Upstate Photographers. Happy Birthday, Caitlin!
Photographers: Paul Grupp, Brenda Rose
Post-processing: Paul Grupp
Makeup Artist: Amy Elizabeth
Want to see more of Caitlin’s Photo Shoot? Click here.
Some Girls Boutique puts on a wonderful living manequin display for Troy Night Out — this month, Cory Nardin was prepping the models, and he and Margaret Lynch Partyka graciously invited us to capture the event on camera. We chose to shoot last night with a minimalist setup — one studio flash, three lenses, and a single camera, but we love the results — hope you do to!
Hair was provided by Cory Nardin, Makeup was provided by Ashley Elliot, Wardrobe by the fabulous Some Girls Boutique, and models Leslie Paddock, Colleen Paddock, and Laura Holloway made it all come alive. Thanks to Cory, Margaret, and the entire Some Girls crew for allowing us to be part of this event – we had a blast!